Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 11:52:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>, "FreeBSD Hardware (E-mail)" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB Zip drive

> 2. shuffle the SCSI IDs so your ZIP has a higher ID

USB and any other SCSI controllers have different SCSI busses therefore
the devices on them have independent device numberings.

> 3. edit /etc/fstab and change the mountpoints to reflect the fact that
> your drives have moved.

That won't help as USB are sometimes present and sometimes not.

Apart from wiring down your devices, there is nothing we can do about it
at present.

> for b), make sure your scsi bus is idle, plug ZIP thing in and run
> "camcontrol rescan".  This is dangerous, since you have a chance of

You can plug and unplug a running USB Zip drive at any time. That is
what USB is about. What that does to your file system and machine is a
different issue thought :-) But there is certainly no mechanical or
electrical problem with doing that.

Nick
--
n_hibma@webweaving.org