Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:49:13 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

In message <Pine.BSF.4.32.0104171610170.19198-100000@mail.wolves.k12.mo.us> Chris Dillon writes:
: types of CF cards... ones that are actually CF, and ones that have an
: ATA-Compatible interface.  Which kind do we actually need, or will
: either type work?

No.  there is only one type of CF memory card.  They all have the ATA
compatibility interface.  There are CF cards for ethernet and modems
and such, but that shouldn't matter for tis.

: Does the board you will be making have both the MiniPCI and the
: regular PCI slot on them like the board on the website?  I'm not sure
: what MiniPCI is supposed to look like, but the card edge connector
: hanging off the left side of the board in the picture on your website
: looks like it would be the regular 3.3V PCI slot, right?  Is the area
: just below the CompactFlash slot (which looks somewhat like a pad for
: a PCMCIA slot) actually where the MiniPCI slot would go?  If so, is
: MiniPCI similar to or even compatible with CardBus?  Or is that for an
: actual PCMCIA/CardBus slot? :-)

minipci is PCI bus in a different form factor than the traditional
edge connector that we see in PCs.  Cardbus is also a different form
factor, but there are other differences for it.

You could put a cardbus bridge card on the mini-pci adapter.  I'm
hoping to do something like that to get a good bouncer box for
pccard/cardbus work.

Warner