Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:56:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC/104 Embedded Board

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Soren Kristensen wrote:

 > Maybe I should tell everybody that I'm working on a version of the
 > net4501 where the PCI slot has been replaced with two PC-Card Slots side
 > by side, especially for wireless applications.... That include a case
 > with two antenna connnectors and upgraded power supply with support for
 > Power over Ethernet (12-60 VDC).
 >
 > Prototypes is very close and production is 3-4 weeks out....

Great, sounds like just what we need, Soren!  Will stay very tuned.

In your email you mentioned 'not for outdoor use' re temperature.  How
does 55C sound?  That's about what we could expect up inside a roof on
the hotter summer days here.  If need be we could locate the box lower,
with longer antenna cables and/or do something about cooling it.

 > Andrew wrote:
 > >
 > > On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Ian Smith wrote:
 > >
 > > > Hope this isn't too far off topic, but we've been looking at the net4501
 > > > with a view to building [a] remote box/es, living in or near the roof of
 > > > one or more of the town's taller buildings, running off a 12V battery
 > > > plus charger supply, for routing/relaying a local wireless LAN.
 > >
 > > That's very cool :-)

We hope so :-)

 > > > card to the net4501?  I don't know enough about what constitutes the
 > > > low-power PCI card requirements of the net4501, what common IEEE802.11b
 > > > cards require power-wise, or what other interfacing might be necessary?
 > >
 > > Well the soekris web page says 3.3V, 2 watt and not room in the case for a
 > > standard PCI card. I think (although I may be completley wrong) that the
 > > Orinoco cards take 5V as that is the voltage from a PC card slot?. Lucent
 > > make a MiniPCI card which might help you though.

Will have to check up on these miniPCI cards too ..

 > > I would imagine for your puposes you would want to be able to attach
 > > external aerials as well - you'd have to check if they support this or if
 > > they have integrated antennas.

Yes, we're looking at a high gain omnidirectional up high to cover the
town, and yagis or helicals for longer directional point-to-point links
up to several miles.  Just for fun, initially, though it might turn out
to be quite useful in this small rural community.

Hope to have a 4.4 system running before long, so expect I'll be back
with some genuine -small questions regarding building a suitable system
for flash etc.

Thanks also to Brooks Davis for responding helpfully.

Cheers, Ian