Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 05:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Rasputin wrote:

:* Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org> [010710 12:42]:
:> On 10 Jul 2001, Rajappa Iyer wrote:
:
:> :One of the nice things I like about FreeBSD (and I daresay I'm not
:> :alone in this) is that when I install it, I know that I'll get a
:> :kernel with a corresponding full and functional userland.  I see the
:> :packaging of this `base system' as a bunch of (meta)packages as the
:> :thin edge of the wedge---pretty soon FreeBSD will resemble the
:> :hodge-podge collection of different (often conflicting) packages that
:> :Linux is.
:
:> Where as I see the ability to incrementally upgrade only the parts of the
:> OS that have changed from release to release as I can do right now in
:> Irix.
:
:I may be low on caffeine, but I don't see how breaking up the base system
:into packages makes it any easier to upgrade than using cvsup?

:Id have thought it would require more work to upgrade under some system
:similar to the ports tree (at least that's my experience)

:But like I said, I've probably misread this post.

You're expecting the whole world to keep the source tree on disk and
recompile the OS.  Once I've done this, I cannot regress.  This is
unrealistic in production environments.  I can update Irix without
shutting down, and a single reboot at the end to load the new kernel.

Everything is tracked via inst/swmgr, any part can be upgraded or
downgraded as necessary, including dependancies.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"