Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:25:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernets are supposed to work, right?

> Hi -- I recently posted that I was having trouble getting the network
> install done, it seems to be a problem in the driver of some sort, I've
> eliminated the possibility of my router or segment being the problem, but I
> just cannot believe that FreeBSD's support is so lousy for ethernet cards --
> I've tried 5 cards so far, of which only 1 is even recognized by the
> install/probe boot disk, and it still failes to initialize the device. These
> are standard ethernet cards -- intel etherpros, SMCs etc. I must be doing
> something wrong. Did anyone meet with some serious head-smacking when
> configuring ethernet cards, anyone who might share a little secret here?

Are you really sure that all your settings are right, and the card is
someplace that FreeBSD is looking for it?

> The machine is a genuineintel IBM PS/Valuepoint 486/dx2-50 (I can hear you
> groaning) with 32mb and an adaptec SCSI controller with 2 units, 1GB seagate
> drive and a sony CDROM (the local store is all out of the walnut creek CDs,
> hence the network install). It's all quite "normal" hardware, shouldn't be
> having any trouble at all.

Anyone who thinks an IBM PS/anything is "quite normal hardware"...
nevermind.

> thanks for any input.

Check what you're doing.  Try a regular PC.  SMC cards work fine, NE2000's
work fine, others work fine but I generally don't use them.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968