Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:53:54 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Flemming <danflemming@mac.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to PPP FAQ - solution for Macintoshes and Black Hole DSL routers

--VnOTrGv5LmZxna7m

Dan Flemming wrote:

> At http://www.ca.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/ppp.html#AEN3716 you have some advice
> for Win9x users connecting through a FreeBSD box that's running PPPoE
> and NAT. Well, Macs have the same problem (the default MTU on MacOS 9
> at least is 1500), but a different solution, which I just found. :)
>
> There's a program called OTAdvancedTuner (OT for OpenTransport, the
> MacOS TCP/IP stack) made by a company called Sustainable Softworks,
> http://www.softworks.com/ The program is shareware, $15 US I believe
> (haven't registered yet, just got it), with a 21-day tryout period. It
> allows you to configure a bunch of TCP/IP settings on the Mac. The
> relevant one for the black hole problem is ip_interface_MTU; Mac NAT
> users should select that from the drop-down menu, enter 1450 instead
> of 1500 in the box (it allows up to 64000, imagine that :) and then
> click the box next to Save as Auto Configure and then click Make
> Active. This seems to have solved my current problem...

Thanks -- I'll probably add something like this soon.

In future, you should use send-pr(1) to send your changes so they don't
get lost.  Sending diffs to the SGML source would also be nice, but a PR
without a diff is better than no PR at all, of course. :-)

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /

--VnOTrGv5LmZxna7m