Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:34:13 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 09:26:27PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:54 AM -0700 2000/4/3, Doug Barton wrote:
> >  	I realize that you don't want to accept responsibility for your
> >  actions, but please stop posting hear trying to convince us that there is
> >  some way we could have unloaded the gun before you pointed it at your
> >  foot.
>
> 	I know you don't want to hear this, but the reality of it is that
> we really should be doing a better job of keeping the web pages
> up-to-date with regards to things like this.

It's not so much that we don't want to hear it, more that we'd rather
hear

    This page isn't quite right.  Please review this patch, which adds
    all the necessary information, and then commit it.

If you do that two or three times, preferably as PRs, and your patches
apply cleanly each time, and are accurate, I'll be banging on -core's
door to get you added as a committer very shortly afterwards.

Seriously folks, this is one of the simplest ways to get one of those
coveted @FreeBSD.org e-mail addresses.  Just write good quality
documentation, or submit updates to the existing documentation, and keep
submitting it.

13 of the 55 or so committers added over the past 14 months or so have
been Documentation Project committers.

> 	In particular, when there is a major change coming and we know
> that the necessary information is to be found in the appropriate
> UPDATING file (or wherever), then we should change the web pages to
> reflect the fact and point to the appropriate specific file.

Patch patch patch. . .

I'm about to commit a change to the Handbook which tells the user to
read the UPDATING file first.