Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:28:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: RAID Controllers

On 06-Mar-00 Marius Strom wrote:
> This isn't the perfect list to ask these questions, but I'm working on
> rebuilding a Linux mail server and replacing it with a
> 4.0-(CURRENT|SNAPSHOT|RELEASE) system.
>
> I'm trying to find out if anyone has had any luck with either the Adaptec
> AAA-131SA or the DPT SmartRaid IV PM3334UW card.
>
> I see the DPT is listed in /handbook/install-hw.html, but find no mention
> of the AAA-131, nor can I find the chipset the AAA is actually running via
> Adaptec's website.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 I have used the DPT card in several sites and it performs very well so far. I
usually perfer the SCSI-SCSI type of outboard raid controller, but the DPT has
worked pretty well.

 As far as I know the adaptec card will work as a nice caching SCSI card but
there is no RAID support for it yet as far as I know. Even if there was it wou
ld effectivly be 1.0 code, which may not be what you want. The DPT is a bit mo
re tried and true.

 However... I would still Really like to see RAID support from adaptec cards.

   Nicole

> --
> Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
> Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
> Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>;
> http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x42C74CBA *UPDATED PGP KEY 2/24/2000*
>
> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
> ...In practice, there is a big difference.

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/