Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:29:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PnP BIOS

Greetings,
	for a variety of reasons, I'd like to be able to call the PnP
BIOS that is on my machine.  I notice that the kernel currently
searches for the $PnP magic cookie, but just prints it on boot.  It
doesn't even bother to save it away like the SMBIOStable and the
DMItable.  Has anybody done any work in this area realting to calling
PnP BIOS functions from a running system?  Reading the PnP MindShare
book leads me to believe that this should be fairly simple and easy to
do (barring implementation bugs in the BIOS) once you have the "weird"
segmentation addressing issues taken care of which the MindShare books
seems to imply that you need to do.  (I don't have the book in front
of me, so it might not be weird but just different...).

I'm actually interested in this because I'd like to play with the
SMBIOS that my machine has, but it implements 2.0 and not the newer
2.1 (which has the table bios.c is searching for, unlike 2.0).  So to
do that, I have to be able to call the PnP BIOS.  From code inspection
it appears that the only BIOS calls that are supported are the INT xx
type calls.  Is that correct, or have I overlooked something?

Warner