Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:09:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: pcic pci attachments merged from current

In message <20010816153437.E30807@ted.isi.edu> Ted Faber writes:
: > Something that I noticed on a non-pci notebook is that pccardd is ignoring
                                  ^^^^^^^
: > the irq settings in /etc/pccard.conf. It even ignores a "-i 11" on the
: > commandline. It only "listens" if I do a "-I -i 11" on the commandline.
: > When it ignores me it always tries to use irq 15, which doesn't work on
: > my machine. The same machine with a system built on July 4th didn't have
: > this behaviour. It used the irq settings in /etc/pccard.conf.
:
: I'm seeing this behavior, too, except the lucky winning IRQ is 9, and
: even with -I -i 11, pccardd won't put the ethernet on IRQ 11.
:
: The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook E-5120, the pcic reports itself as a
: <TI PCI-1225 {CI-CardBus Bridge> irq 9 at device 19.0 pci0
: It also claims to be operating in <PC CardBus (Classic)>

Right.  This is a pci based notebook.  On PCI notebooks using PCI
interrupt routing, you lose the ability to pick which interrupt each
card gets.  The bridge assigns them.  If you didn't do this, then you
would get interrupt storms.

Unless the card isn't working, then I'd say there's nothing wrong
here.

The ISA only parts (CL-PD6722, i82365, ricoh 396, etc) are what John
Hay was complaining about.  I have a couple of laptops that are like
that and thought I'd tested things there, but obviously I missed
something.

Warner