Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 12:31:58 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Status of Branding

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> It seems the branding discussion was getting settled when the Halloween
> thingy struck. I guess I will have to see what all the ruckus is about.

To sum up, we seem to have come to a rough consensus on what the two
levels of branding mean, and that OUR web pages should include a
third category for works-in-progress that do not yet meet the criteria
for the lower level brand.

I don't think we've achieved quite this level of agreement on the hardware
side, but I think the software guidelines are pretty easy to adapt to
hardware products.  I'm not sure there is any hardware that really
qualifies as "Designed for" or "Pure" FreeBSD, so perhaps we only apply
the lower logo to hardware?

What we need now are:

1) names for the two branding levels, and

2) artwork for both logos

I can write up a description of the requirements for the two branding
levels, and the "works in progress" and email it this weekend if that
will help; I've been archiving the entire discussion.

I've seen a number of good and quite a few bad names bandied about;
I'm laying no claims to which of mine fall in which categories.  My
current favorites are "Pure FreeBSD" and "Works with FreeBSD," but
cannot claim either of those have reached ANY level of consensus.  ;^)

With regard to graphics, IMHO each should include the FreeBSD daemon,
and we should have at least two similar logos for each, one suitable
for web pages and other advertising materials, and another small icon
(roughly 25x25 mm) suitable for product boxes and/or media.

If we can get going on the name discussion and the artwork, I think we
might be able to put this to bed early next week.  We can then run it
past the FreeBSD core team to see if anyone is wildly opposed, and
start emailing vendors.

It would be nice to see a thread develop nominating vendors, both hard
and software, for brand awards as soon as we're finished.  We've seen
quite a few mentioned in our discussions, but collecting a list would
be a good idea.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com