Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 19:36:07 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Susie Ward <webmaster@web-trends.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sportster Init String

At 04:17 AM 4/11/97 -0500, Susie Ward wrote:
>Could some of you please show me the init strings you are using for your
>Sportster 28.8/33.6 modems? I've almost got my dialups working, but I think
>a large part of my problem is not having an init string that the modems
>really like. I used the one recommended at usr.com on the unix setup page,
>but that didnt work, used another that a friend sent and that got rid of
>the garbage recieved error, but I still can only connect like 1 out of 6

AT&F1M0Q2S0=1S2=255S10=100S13=1S25=50&W&W1

DIPs 3 8 down (ON)

Worked for us and I tried everything.  Some things only improve connections
slightly, but help for those with problems connecting to a Sportster.
Better to use a Courier.

Do note that some of the commands did change from the 28.8 to the 33.6
version and someone may X init string and another person has Y init string
and combining them may not work, best to read the command set before hand.

We are phasing out our Courier/Sportster/Supra modems and are switching to
PM3 units.  Rather happy that I got the clear to swtich to Courier and the
PM3 is comparable in price per port ~$350.

>times, so that really bites :) I'm "hoping" this where my problem lies, if
>anyone has any other suggestions as to what might make the connections so
>unreliable, I'm open for suggestions (FreeBSD 2.2.1, Cyclades Yo board).

Keep them COOL and have fan blowing on them.  Disconnects, failed connects,
and no connect period are the escalating problem as temperatures rise.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990