Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 03:43:35 +0900
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        sa2c@st.rim.or.jp, jkh@morton.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Translators needed urgently!

In article <9505021803.AA07942@cs.weber.edu>
terry@cs.weber.edu writes:

>> I guess I'm more interested in Kanji->Kana and Kana->Romanji translation,
>> since I can read Romanji fairly well, can read Kana about as well as I
>> read APL source, and can read only a small amount of Kanji (most of
>> that coming from reading Manga and watching Urasei Yatsura 8-)).

There are Kanji->Kana translation filter.  Its name is "kakasi"
(scarecrow).  But I've not used it.

>> I was thinking more in terms of partial automatic translation from
>> Japanese encode Kanji to English, with gramatical fixup from SOV
>> to SVO sentence structure and a couple of other issues to be handled
>> by a human for translation of documentation from Japanese contributors
>> to BSD so that they can work on their code instead of on translation.

Technical documents are easier to translate automatically.  There are
some commercial softwares for automatic translation between Japanese
and English.  But the output of these software is still too bad (far
worth than I do :-) ), though they have huge dictionaries and use very
complex algolithms.

--
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	  WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html