Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:41:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Subject:   Re: make world failed

     I normally wouldn't get involved in this kind of sillyness, but this
strikes me as more miscommunication (on both sides) than anything else.  The
people who have responded, when suggesting the mailing list, were (giving them
the benefit of the doubt) suggesting a quick search using such keywords as
"upgrade" and "problem" against the stable list.  I did just that and it took
about 2 minutes to find more than 2 references to the differences between going
from 3.x to 3.x+1 and going from 3.x to 4.0.
     Unfortunately, Brennan seems to have understood (again giving the benefit
of the doubt) that people were suggesting he should have been following the
list for some time before attempting the upgrade.  That would have been nice,
but as was suggested, not necessarily possible.
     I think it's also important to ensure that,if the standard upgrade
documents aren't going to spell out the various upgrade paths (and I honestly
see no reason they should)  there should be mention not only of tracking the
stable mailing list, but also searching it (and maybe hackers if it's a major
change such as we've just done) for possible pitfalls and problems.  The fact
that such advice is repeated commonly in the mailing lists should be an
indication to put these kind of things in the FAQ.
     Finally, I'm always a little dismayed to see these misunderstandings
degenerate into near flame-fests.  I really enjoy using FreeBSD and I find, on
average, the information in the lists I track to be worth the effort.
Unfortunately, these excursions reflect badly on the FreeBSD community.  I
don't think it's too hard to look at a response before you send it and, if it's
not the kind of message you'd like to see addressed to you, really think about
the value in sending it (with not sending it having the most value IMHO).

cheers,
Colin