Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:49:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Neal <neal@pernet.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Neal wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Neal wrote:
> >
> > > My general impression of Annex has been a screamed NO.  But bear in mind
> > > that's just an impression.
> >
> > 	Hmm, any reasoning behind this though?
>
> Not really, just a "feel".  I probably should have thought more before
> typing that.  The jury is instructed to ignore the remark.

	Oh okay, I thought you knew something bad about it that I didn't.

> > > Now, a couple little thoughts just from me:
> > >
> > > 1:If you're strapped for cash, don't even try to start.  You need to be
> > >   able to count on anywhere from $100,000-300,000 to run.
> >
> > 	Does it really take that much?  How does the money break down?
>
> Yes.  Easily.  I believe we're at $500,000 now.  The problem is that it
> takes forever(we've been going to >2 years, and we're just now "close") to
> break even.

	Hmm, seems like your costs are a lot more than what we need to
pay..

> Breakdown:
>
>   $3k/month T1 to net

	$1.45k/month T1 to the backbone

>   $325/month per PRI(or $410 per 23 analog lines)

	Not sure about this one.

>   $1000/month office space, etc.(rent, utilities)

	We don't need this since it's already a audio business.

>   $5k+ employees.  You save on this if you go with no help, but it sucks.
> = $9k/month expenses without leasing equipment.

	Everyone who works is part of the company's ownership so this
eliminates that part.

> Startup equipment:
>
>    $17k  Max 4000.

	What is a Max 4000?

>    $1500 Cisco 2501.

	Doesn't a Cisco 2501 cost more than $1500?  A FreeBSD based PC
with a ET card costs about the same I think or should be less.

>    $???? computers/servers(at least 1, call it $2k per)
> =  $20k startup.  You really need more, i.e. seperate news/mail/web.

	Hmmm, can't the mail, web be the same machine while news is on
a dedicated machine?

> Of course, I _might_ be inflating the number here.  It was actually
> considerably more expensive to do this two years ago.  But I'm not
> considering startup costs for the T1 or PRI.

	Oh okay, are the costs of T1 lines going up or down these days?

> > 	Doesn't it actually cost for incoming for ISDN lines?
>
> No.  We pay $325/month/PRI with no "per usage" pricing.  The hitch is it's
> incoming only, but I think we'll live.  Outgoing is $.05/minute.

	So it works more like a business analog line then, paying for
outgoing but incoming is still free.

> > 	Hmmm, what about if you wanted to start out small and then expand
> > as business grows?
>
> That's my argument about using BSD boxes.  They're cheaper to start up
> with.  When you get to the point that $14000 doesn't phase you, THEN you
> get the big boxes.

	How much cheaper are BSD boxes compared to the big boxes?

> > 	Hmmm, you're talking about the router or the terminal server or
> > their modems?
>
> Yes :).  I've used their "terminal server".  I did some work with a
> University that had Telebit modems that locked up about 8 times a day.
> I wasn't aware they made a router.

	I never knew they made a terminal server.  The router is called
the NetBlazer.

> The terminal server was a 386sx-16.  Now its a 486dx2-66(I believe).
> Their tech support was miserable then(it might be better now, this was 1.5
> year ago).  They had a callback system.  They would "try" to get back to
> you within three days.

	They did make the best modems at one point and their tech support
was good when they were just modem only though.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]