Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 00:33:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kent Hamilton <kenth@HNS.St-Louis.Mo.US>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> > > hmm but devfs might be compulsory :)
> >
> I'm joking until I figure a way around the persistance problem
> personally I'll be using a kernel that will disable the use of devices
> on all kinds of filesystems other than devfs.
>
> Actually I think persistance is not a real problem, it's a PR excersize
> We're getting creamed by NT which doesn't have permissions persistance.
> I think a utility that allows the admin to tune the permissions of devices
> will make the screams go away.
>
> basically a little menu system similar to what you use in the
> install system.
> as output it produces a littel file called devs.rc that is run at boot.

I've never seen the proposal for this stuff (I only subscribe
to -current)... so I may be way off on my understanding of what
we are talking about, but... I'll still toss in my two sense :-)
Where can I find a copy of the proposal for this anyway?

I am a sysadmin for a company and we use a couple of FreeBSD systems
currently.  If I change a device file then there was a damn good
reason for it and I want it to still be that way when the system
re-boots.  I *don't* want to have to wade through YACMS (Yet Another
Cute Menu System) to have to make those changes stick either.

I *do* really like the entire idea behind devfs and if there is a
way to make it stick across boots, etc. that doesn't require my having
to take extra steps to do it then I'd be happy to see it.

[deleted]

> > It has to work the way it works now, e.g. you should be able to just
> > walk into /dev (and that could be one of many incarnations of `dev',
> > remember) and futz with permissions or "delete" device entries you
> > don't want to be present for security reasons, and that information
> > should stay there across mounts.
>
> I disagree about this.

I *strongly* disagree with you.  If I change the dev's on my firewall
I expect 'em to damn well stay changed and the first time they don't
I first go searching for the person that hacked the firewall, then
finding nothing, I dump it and rebuild it from scratch assuming that
I've just been badly beaten at my game.  Now you tell me that they won't
stay that way?  I dump it and get a new o/s.

> I'd suggest a seprate utility to allow this to be done REALLY EASILY.
> One possibility I thought about was a user-land daemon that
> scans the directory every now and then (cron?)
> and notices changes.. alternatively there could be syslog option to
> send messages from the device filesystem out to some sort of log
> that get's replayed on bootup.

I could live with a cron job that scans for changes and records 'em.

> I personally don't think it's a problem except in the minds of those
> who are stuck in the past. Things need to change.
>
> 1/ major numbers need to become dynamic
> 2/ devices shouldn't exist without their /dev/entries
> 3/ devices shouldn't exist with the WRONG /dev/entries
> 4/ /dev/entries with no corresponding device is also bogus
> 5/ minor numbers need to become dynamic for some device types
> 6/ devices need to be able to change their representation on the fly
>
> given this I don't see how there can be another answer, except for
> something that can pass through the sysctl interface and pull out all the
> minor numbers. That would be I think an ugly answer but one some-one else
> is welcome to try.
>
> Anyone who wants full persistance is welcome to
> use the old system and try work out what minor numbers are valid for the
> disk slices  on the fly.

I'd agree that things need to change, *but* not at the expense of
my ass.  If I don't feel the system is going to be secure because
of the changes then it's real simple.  I won't use it.

Also, just curious, how do you plan to handle any applications like,
as an example, Informix OnLine which expect to be handed a raw partition
(slice) owned by informix.informix mode 660 and won't work unless it
get's it.  Call it a "legacy app" and forget it?  (And yes I know it
doesn't apply to FreeBSD, but who knows....  I've run the "Standard
Engine" version on FreeBSD under the IBCS emulator and it worked for
my *really* limited testing, had to swipe a couple libraries from a
SCO box as I recall though.)

Anyway I hope I didn't miss the point of this whole thing tooooo badly.

--
Kent Hamilton                               Work:  KHamilton@Hunter.COM