Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:12:45 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mounting a sandisk

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:15:47PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> sony 505tx
> 4.2-stable
> sandisk imagemate smart card
>
> so i have this usb imagemate for smart cards.  it is recognized at boot
>
>     uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfce0-0xfcff \
>            irq 9 at device 7.2 on pci0
>     usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
>     usb0: USB revision 1.0
>     uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
>     uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
>     ugen0: SanDisk USB SSFDC, rev 1.10/2.08, addr 2

Hmm, maybe yours is different than mine.

  umass0: SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB, rev 1.10/0.09, addr 4

Looking at its underside, I see `ImageMate: SanDisk Part
No.SDDR-31'. I don't have the cheap packaging it came in any
longer.

> i think i have what is neede configured in the kernel
>
>     device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
>     device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
>     device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
>     #device         ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
>     device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
>     device          ugen            # Generic
>     #device         uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
>     #device         ukbd            # Keyboard
>     #device         ulpt            # Printer
>     device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
>     device          ums             # Mouse
>     #device         uscanner        # Scanners

I have ohci as well as uhci, but I don't know the difference between
them.  Actually I guess I have all the USB devices configured in my
kernel.

> but it does not show up as daN
>
>     # fdisk /dev/da0
>     fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da0: Device not configured
>     # fdisk /dev/da1
>     fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da1: Device not configured
>     # fdisk /dev/da2
>     fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da2: Device not configured
>     # fdisk /dev/da3
>     fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da3: Device not configured
>
> so how do i find and mount this sucker?

I don't think you will until it shows up as a umass device.  Then I
use `camcontrol devlist' to finger the right unit:

  # camcontrol devlist
  <IBM DRVS18D 0270>                 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
  <IBM DRVS18D 0270>                 at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
  <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,da2)

Hope this helps,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org