Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 08:53:58 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

Chris Shenton wrote:

> I'm supporting an ISP who's outgrown the single box we have running
> WWW, FTP, SMTP, POP, and IMAP.  It also does RADIUS authentication for
> the dialup server. Accounts are created on this single box so the user
> gets RADIUS authenticated against /etc/passwd, just as the FTP, POP,
> IMAP stuff does. The normal "adduser" script is run to create
> accounts.
>
> I plan to split into two boxes: one for WWW and FTP, the other for
> SMTP, POP, and IMAP.  Not sure where I'm gonna run RADIUS yet, maybe
> on both for redundancy.

May I ask maybe a dumb question, as I am involved as a newbie in setting
up our own server much like the above (except for dialup), and hope some
day to have this problem  ;-)

Why not duplicate the box and split the users across boxes? That way if
one box goes down, only half your users suffer. It's scalable, as for
yet more users you just add another box, and you can load-balance the
boxes easily for good utilization by allocating users appropriately.
Configuration is the same from box to box, and having hardware spares is
easy. The only thing that might connect the boxes is having them do
secondary DNS for each other.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna