Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > 	I always thought RISCom was more of a High Speed Serial Card
> > to make a FreeBSD box a router or something.
>
> well.. out of LINT:
> # rc: RISCom/8 multiport card
>
> so... it does look like they make a multiport card.. but they do also have
> a sync card which has a driver in FreeBSD...

	I kept thinking that was their Sync card and not a multiport card.

> > 	That's good to know, how much did a box like hat cost you?
>
> well..  a friend found a place that was unloading those 4port AST cards
> for $39 each... so I bought a couple of those... the ethernet card in it I
> picked up from a swap meet for probably $1..  (it's 16bbit NE2000, you
> can't complain)... and I paid something like $19 for the 3.5" floppy...
> the CPU on the machine was another swap meet grab... $10 for it...  I
> already had the MB...

	Actually, that's pretty good for what you got.

> so.. as you can see most of it isn't new stuff... just stuff I had laying
> around...  I use the floppy to boot because i haven't been able to find
> anyone that has an EPROM burner to burn me a couple boot roms...

	Well, the main point is the stuff works and not if it was new or
used since it's not something that you use physically.

> so it has only cost me about $110... but if you add in the wiring that I've
> done to make handling sll the serial ports nice... your talking about an
> additional $80...  but that's because I set it up in such a way that I can
> easily pull a modem from my terminal server and attach it to another box...
> (just unplug on RJ-45 plug and plug it into another slot, it done :) )...

	Hmmm, for under $200, that still isn't too bad.  I thought it
would cost way more than that.  How much would something new like this
cost?

> > 	How much startup capital are we talking about?  I can see you're
> > in Oregon so competition shouldn't be that bad there.
>
> well...  most of it would go for the inital inet connection and telco
> cost....  depending on what my start up size is... it's around $5,000...
> and most of that is modems/phone lines or inet connectivity...

	What does that $5k include?

> yeh.. it's not that bad.. and from what I hear it could actually have a
> good chance of surviving just because of the number of people that are
> signing up...

	Yep, that's true unless you had to deal with Rain.net or something
in Oregon.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]