Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 17:16:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        sa-list@avantgo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP + fxp0 wierdness

> Greetings,
>
> We're running 3.3-REL on dual processor PII-450's, with a N440BX
> motherboard, using the onboard EtherExpress Pro (fxp) NIC and 512MB RAM.
>
> These machines are running custom software that excercises the disk, CPU
> and network quite heavily.  The SMP machines seem to have both "fxp0:
> device timeout" problems, and spontaneous reboots.  We were uable to get
> a working savecore until now, and have traced the reboots back to the
> fxp driver as well.  Here are the debug outputs, and any custom changes
> to our kernel config.
>
> Could this be a problem with SMP + fxp combination?  Any other thoughts
> or ideas?

This is a known problem, insofar as it's been seen on a wide range of
systems.  It's not SMP specific, but it does appear to be very sensitive
to your hardware configuration (eg. we were seeing it repeatedly in
combination with an ncr SCSI card, and when we switched to an Adaptec it
went away).  Others have reported it in conjunction with Adaptec cards
however, as well as in IDE-only systems.

We haven't been successful in stirring David Greenman's interest in
this so far, which is really crucial since the only common factor in
these problems so far has been the fxp card/driver combination.

> #4  0xc01cd95a in trap ()
> #5  0xc018979e in fxp_add_rfabuf ()

For anyone else wondering whether they're seeing this problem, the
above two lines are the signature; there is a point inside
fxp_add_rfabuf where the variables on the stack seem right, but the
register shadows of the variables are corrupt, causing the trap.  I
spent several days looking at this and came away with a sore head.