Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:40:17 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base-f8/Linux emulation notes

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:06:41 -0500 (CDT) Sean C. Farley wrote:

> Here are some general notes about linux_base-f8 and linux emulation
> (mostly) in general.  Other than these notes, almost (see #7) all
> appears to work for me with RELENG_7 (after latest commit today),
> linux_base-f8 and compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16.  Thank you.

Sean, thank you for your testing and feedback!

> 1. I noticed that linux-glib conflicts at least with the glib20.mo files
>    and glib2.sh.  Is linux-glib even needed if linux_base-f8 is
>    installed?

> Messages from acroread8:
> rm: cannot remove `/home/sean/.adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Preferences/mozilla/prefs.js': Function not implemented
> (acroread:76704): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

I have that message even with all Fedora 8 infrastructure ports. :-(

> Fontconfig error: "conf.d", line 1: not well-formed (invalid token)
> Fontconfig error: "conf.d", line 1: not well-formed (invalid token)

This seems to be a result of recent config changes of fontconfig and
should go away with new f8 ports.

> (acroread:76704): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)

> 2. I am not sure what is throwing the "Function not implemented"
>    message.  Running rm (FreeBSD or Linux binary) works.  The Linux
>    binary works even if executed from with /compat/linux/bin/bash.

I didn't see such a message with acroread7. Should try acroread8 to
reproduce it.

>    I checked with ktrace -d and linux_kdump.  I do not see prefs.js
>    mentioned, and the message does not show itself.  ENOSYS nor 38 was
>    found in the dump.

> 3. What is missing to make glibc happy with locales (LANG=en_US.UTF-8)?

Anybody?

> 4. Is an update needed for some other linux port to fix the Gdk-WARNING?
>    Do other linux-* ports need updating to more current versions?
>    Currently, they are fc4-level.

Those messages with _g[dt]k_ are not very informative...

> 5. The "Beyond Adobe Reader" window that acroread shows if not run
>    with a file to load is blank.  According to this FAQ[1] #10 by Adobe,
>    it could be a problem with gtkembedmoz (installed by the linux-nvu
>    port).

I don't see this with acroread7.

> 6. Some Linux binaries try to print using /usr/bin/lp without success.
>    I always install the following script to make them work:

> /compat/linux/usr/bin/lp:
> #!/bin/sh -
> exec /usr/bin/lpr "$@"

Yep, fixed at linux_base-f8 REVISION=1. Thanks.

> 7. I still get core dumps within a Linux chroot (fc2-based) using
>    cmake[2].

/me doesn't have any idea here, sorry.

> Sean
>   1. http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2007/09/adobe_reader_811_faqs.html