Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:14:26 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Patrick Mackeown <pgm@NS4.HELP-DESK.CO.UK>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I throw away this TV card?

Patrick Mackeown:
 | I bought a cheap TV card IMS TV Turbo, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner
                                                         ^^^^
 |bktr0: <BrookTree 878> rev 0x02 int a irq 11 on pci0.9.0
 |IMS TV Turbo, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner.
 |
 |even the tweeking sysctl -w hw.bt848.tuner=10
 |manages to produce nothing but a blank screen.

  brooktree848.c:
     #define PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC     9      <--- what you have
     #define PHILIPS_FR1216_PAL      10
     #define PHILIPS_FR1236_SECAM    11

 | I run fxtv with these options.
 |fxtv -antennaFreqSet weurope -inputFormat pal

Well, if you really have an NTSC tuner, you have a card that doesn't
support PAL.  I doubt that trying to configure it as a PAL tuner is going
to help much ;-)

 |I'm thinking of throwing the card away and buying a more expensive one, do
 |you think it's worth trying any other last minute options?

Roger may have a trick or two up his sleeve, but I think you're going to
have to buy a card with a PAL tuner, ...or just move to the USA :-)

However, it may not be a total write-off.  You can receive 'some' FM radio
stations on a stock NTSC board I've discovered, even those without radio
advertised.  Though I don't know if FM radio in Europe follows the same
modulation standard.

Randall