Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:35:27 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

Vincent Poy scribbled this message on Apr 11:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > > 	That's good to know, how much did a box like hat cost you?
> >
> > well..  a friend found a place that was unloading those 4port AST cards
> > for $39 each... so I bought a couple of those... the ethernet card in it I
> > picked up from a swap meet for probably $1..  (it's 16bbit NE2000, you
> > can't complain)... and I paid something like $19 for the 3.5" floppy...
> > the CPU on the machine was another swap meet grab... $10 for it...  I
> > already had the MB...

[...]

> > so it has only cost me about $110... but if you add in the wiring that I've
> > done to make handling sll the serial ports nice... your talking about an
> > additional $80...  but that's because I set it up in such a way that I can
> > easily pull a modem from my terminal server and attach it to another box...
> > (just unplug on RJ-45 plug and plug it into another slot, it done :) )...
>
> 	Hmmm, for under $200, that still isn't too bad.  I thought it
> would cost way more than that.  How much would something new like this
> cost?

well.. if you go with a cheep pentium mb (it's cheeper than a 486mb) that
will run you about $95 or $100...  then an AMD k5 (they are slightly more
expensive than an AMD 5x86/133 your looking at aroound $45 (75) to $95 (133).
then case would be around $50...  ethernet card (16bit ne2000) $30...
memory, say 8megs (might want to get 16megs) for $45...  then you have your
multiport cards...  which can have a varing range of prices... so your
looking at about $300 plus the cost of the multiport cards...

of course you can do a lot with this box...  I happen to run gated on it so
that routing is handle properly.. :)

> > > 	How much startup capital are we talking about?  I can see you're
> > > in Oregon so competition shouldn't be that bad there.
> >
> > well...  most of it would go for the inital inet connection and telco
> > cost....  depending on what my start up size is... it's around $5,000...
> > and most of that is modems/phone lines or inet connectivity...
>
> 	What does that $5k include?

sync card, csu/dsu, 5-10 modems, 5-10 phone lines, another 2gig hd, dat
drive for backups, inet access (56k frame relay)...  most monthly fees will
be covered for a few months...

> > yeh.. it's not that bad.. and from what I hear it could actually have a
> > good chance of surviving just because of the number of people that are
> > signing up...
>
> 	Yep, that's true unless you had to deal with Rain.net or something
> in Oregon.

well.. from the sounds of it.. there are a number of higher level providers
that are starting to fight it out locally...  seems one company is offering
T1 locally.. and they connectivity is via microwave to portland...  (that
way they don't have to run cable)...  so there are a number of choices for
top level providers locally....  this will also causing the service to
improve to make sure you stay with 'em...

ttyl...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD