Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   internationalization

  People,

  Is anyone else working on the internationalization of the standard
  utility set?  GNU is far ahead of FreeBSD in most of it's code and
  I'm not refering to GPL'd code.  Only things like most of what we
  have in bin, usr.bin, &c.

  I've been into this twice.  The first time, briefly, in '96, and
  for the past few weeks.  Generating simple, efficient catalogues
  for each of the 200+ utilities is a first task.

  There is a related issue of the system errs (currently in sys_errlist[]).
  There are at least two rational ways to turn::

  $ ENOENT
  2 No such file or directory

  into its French equiv::

  $ ENOENT
  2 Fichier ou r\xe9pertoire introuvable

  I'm going ahead with my current implementation and look forward to
  hearing from any other hackers who are interested in this.

  gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix