Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 17:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Adric <adric@adric.com>
Cc:        mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif requirement

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Adric wrote:

> Alexey Lukin wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > Frank W. Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Just out of curiosity, is there any thought to removing the requirement
> > > for using Motif?  It's not just that Motif costs money, I just plain
> > > don't like it.  MHO of course.
> >
> > Yeah, I do not like it too. What about qtZilla as base for port?
> >
> > QT library (www.troll.no) is very good and according to KDE
> > (www.kde.org)
> > project will remain in public domain.
> > TrollTech already has working port of Mozilla and QT runs on huge number
> > of platforms.
> > Why not?
>
> Restricted license.  QT is not free for commercial development, and this
> conflictswith the FreeBSD license.  Use GTK or lesstif please?

Motif is neither.  Gtk and lesstif are buggier than Motif 1.2 and Qt 1.33.
Why not?  BTW, have you attempted to do a hello world type program in Qt
v. any of the afformentioned C toolkits?  If you have, you'll probably see
why IMO Qt is worth the $1200 per developer (not end user).

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |