Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:37:38 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts on NT with Hummingbird Maestro

Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com> wrote:

> Do you actually develop UNIX applications?  Certainly not during the
> Sun-sponsored "upgrade to Slowlaris 2.0" fiasco.  You couldn't do this

Yeah, yeah...I was thinking of a general rule (and the warning that you get
when the shared libraries are slightly out of date from SunOS 4.1.4 to 4.1.3,
for instance)...or maybe a "sometimes good" rule...or ...whatever.

We've been doing builds on SunOS 4.1.3u1, 5.3, HP-UX 9.x, IRIX 5.x, AIX 3.2.x
(from what I remember from our last major release), DEC OSF/1 3.2, and they
all basically work on later versions of their respective OS's, I think.

> with Solaris 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2, because they kept making all this
> incompatible upgrades between revisions, and NOBDOY was dumb enough
> to stay on 2.0 or 2.2 for longer than it took them to slide the CD-ROM
> into the drive.

Agreed...a specific instance (albeit one from a company with a large market
share :-)).  Of course, I have this vague recollection that at the time people
tended to try to avoid 2.x until some "it's OK" concensus was reached...that
is, the stayed with SunOS 4.x for a while.

> Your strategy is partially useful on HP-UX, if you don't mind a 15%
> performance hit (running 9.0x apps on 10.0x).

Well...I'm not sure what the status of 10.x was for our last release, but I'd
bet that if we'd built for 10.x, we wouldn't be able to run the product on
9.x. It's a lot more practical for us to maintain one version of a product
for a given platform, if possible, if it has reasonable performance.

Vendors can maintain some for of useability/compatibility the other way
around, but with the current state of crystal ball technology it's hard for
the 9.x OS folks to support 10.x applications :-).

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org