Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:18:44 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        martin.kraft@fal.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ES1373/1373 driver now committed to -stable {was: icecast on

Martin Kraft wrote:

> Russell Cattelan wrote:
> >
> > Martin Kraft wrote:
> >
> > > * Unfortunatedly I encountered another problem: I wasn't able to change
> > > * the LINE input's VOLUME. I modified the line volume using DAP's
> > > * X Mixer. FreeBSD's mixer reported the changed values, but input
> > > * volume did not change effectively.
> >
> > What motherboard/chip set are you using?
> > I found some chatter on the ALS mailing list about none intel chip set
> > motherboards not working with the new PCI128s.
>
> Asus P2L97-S AGP (Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter onboard) Intel 440LX
> chipset.

Hmm the Asus boards are the ones having problems... but without the Intel chip

set. I'll keep a look out to see if somebody finds a fix for the problem.

> > Does it sort of sound like cracking in the high ranges?
> > I have heard some clipping in the high end.
>
> Kind of clipping, yes.
>
> > Unfortunately from reviews I have found the 1371 doesn't perform
> > as well as the 1370.
> >
> > Note: I tried the OSS driver just as a test to see if the sound was
> > any different... I couldn't find any differences.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that. Bought it, because some people wrote, that it
> has a good A/D (for the price, of course). If it is not a driver problem,
> I might consider to buy another brand in the middle future. As I wrote,
> the sound is worse than with an old SB 16 ISA.

If you want to look at some good write-ups
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/reports/

The Creative Labs stuff doesn't score all the well... not bad
but the Turtle Beach stuff seems to be better equip.