Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:06:36 -0600
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power Supply for Dec Alpha 164LX?

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:34:10PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Weez wrote:
>
> > Does
> > anyone know where i can buy a power supply that will work with the alpha
> > 164LX and might be less loud than the original power supply?
>
> I own an AlphaPC 164LX too, and I can tell you from my own experience that
> a normal ATX Power supply will work... ("AlphaPC 164LX" is just a board
> (and nothing more) made by Samsung. You can put it in a normal PC-ATX
> tower w/o problems)
>
>     Greetings, Oliver

I can vouch for this. I have a PC164LX in an Antec KS280B mid-tower I picked
up from Antec for a song. It has a 300w power supply, which has been more than
adequate to power the Alpha, a full 1G RAM, two 10,000RPM SCSI drives, a
Symbios SYM22902 SCSI card, an ATI Radeon 9100 128M, an ISA SB ViBRA16 and a
CD-ROM drive.

In short, any ATX power supply 300w and above worth two shakes should work fine.

Thanks,

Josh