Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:31:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > > > "Perfectly Random" doesn't exist.
> > >
> > > Prove it.  I say it does. :) :) :)
> >
> > It's the simpler explanation.
>
> Simpler != correct.

We've been here.  Simpler ==  provisionally correct in the absence of
empirical evidence to the contrarary.

Or, another way of looking at it, simple := empirically correct.

Your faith will not change the way you need to route bus signals on
a motherboard design.

> > Prove that it does, or provide some
> > empirical evidence which contradicts the hypothesis... 8-).
>
> Human behavior.  Why do I fall in love with who I fall in love with?

A 2-3 reducatase reaction, similar to that induced by the consumption
of chocolate?

> Why do some children raised in the exact same circumstances turn out
> totally different?

Because they are genetically predestined to do so?

> Why do twins with the *exact* same DNA look and act different?

Or your measure of "the exast same circumstances" lacks sufficient
resoloution for it to be an accurate observation?  There has to be
at least a one cubic foot difference in their perspective.  You
could claim it was environmental.

Maybe they were exposed to different prions?

> > A grid etched on a plain can have a defined grid unit size without
> > the plane having to be finite.
>
> Yes, but you've only described a subset, not the entire thing.

How do you think "proof by induction" works?

> > Although the best evidence we have
> > suggests that space is finite (and that we live in a closed universe).
>
> Let's see some facts to back up this assertion.

You should watch the Stephen Hawking series currently airing on PBS
for this answer.  Or read his book "A Brief History Of Time".

> > > With the same token energy maybe infinite as well....
> >
> > Again, the best evidence is that we live in a closed universe.
>
> Your evidence comes from different sources than mine.

Yes.  Mine comes from the Empirical observations of Physicists.  8-) 8-).

> [ I assert that Artificial intelligence can't be created ]
[ ... and I "deassert" it -- 8-)... ]
> True, but I don't have the purden of proof, you do.  I assert that it
> can't be done, so you must therefore prove to me that it can.  All of
> the emperical evidence up till now supports my claim. :)

What about the Empirical fact that human beings exist, and there's no
evidence that they are anything other than atomic scale machines?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.