Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 02:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > 	Hmmm, for under $200, that still isn't too bad.  I thought it
> > would cost way more than that.  How much would something new like this
> > cost?
>
> well.. if you go with a cheep pentium mb (it's cheeper than a 486mb) that
> will run you about $95 or $100...  then an AMD k5 (they are slightly more
> expensive than an AMD 5x86/133 your looking at aroound $45 (75) to $95 (133).
> then case would be around $50...  ethernet card (16bit ne2000) $30...
> memory, say 8megs (might want to get 16megs) for $45...  then you have your
> multiport cards...  which can have a varing range of prices... so your
> looking at about $300 plus the cost of the multiport cards...

	Hmm, will a K5 run as well as a P5 though?  Since it might be
faster but what about compatibility issues?  As for the ethernet card,
wouldn't a 100Mbps PCI be better?  But is 8 megs really enough for a
terminal server?  Now how much does the multiport cards cost?

> of course you can do a lot with this box...  I happen to run gated on it so
> that routing is handle properly.. :)

	This is only if I can figure out how to get gated working. =)

> > 	What does that $5k include?
>
> sync card, csu/dsu, 5-10 modems, 5-10 phone lines, another 2gig hd, dat
> drive for backups, inet access (56k frame relay)...  most monthly fees will
> be covered for a few months...

	I thought you had a T1 but 56k would cost $5k already?

> > 	Yep, that's true unless you had to deal with Rain.net or something
> > in Oregon.
>
> well.. from the sounds of it.. there are a number of higher level providers
> that are starting to fight it out locally...  seems one company is offering
> T1 locally.. and they connectivity is via microwave to portland...  (that
> way they don't have to run cable)...  so there are a number of choices for
> top level providers locally....  this will also causing the service to
> improve to make sure you stay with 'em...

	Hmmm, via microwave?  Now that must cost them something to do that
but isn't microwave slower than actual cable?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]