Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:20:53 -0500
From:      craigs@os.com (Craig Shrimpton)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting a New ISP

>> I highly recommend you DO NOT do that. If you want to retain your common
>> carrier status and be protected by the law from CDA and OCAF, etc issues,
>
>Just to be clear: ISP's don't have common carrier status to start with, it's
>just that not filtering strengthens your argument that you're providing a
>public forum and not publishing an edited collection.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I make my decisions on which groups to
carry based not on content but strictly on the structure of the newgroup
message.

If the newgroup message is in the proper format with both "For your
newsgroups file" and "Charter" entries, it's added.  If the group message is
poorly formed, it's discarded.  Additionally, all newgroups from
tale@uu.uunet.net are honored as well as some distributions.  This is a
written company policy.

If any of my customers want a group added that I don't carry, I ask them to
have the "owner" of the group (if it's alt) to issue a proper newgroup
message.  BTW: I never honor any rmgroup messages in alt.

-Craig

Orbit Internet                               Email:  craigs@os.com
400 Grove Street                             Phone:  (508) 753-8776
Worcester, MA 01605                          http://www.os.com/