Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 06:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus PCI/I-P55SP4 motherboard

>    Does anyone here have any experiance with the Asus PCI/I-P55SP4 motherboard?
> This is a new one that uses a new SiS chipset, supports up to 512MB of memory
> using 128MB SIMMs (do these exist yet??), pipeline burst cache, EDO RAM
> support, Pentium CPUs up to 167Mhz, etc.

Got one sitting right here...

>    I'd like to hear from anyone with any experiance with this motherboard. I'm
> considering using it in wcarchive, and I'd like to know about performance and
> reliability.

It has run make world's with a 2940, a few card compatibility tests etc,
looks to be okay.  It is benchmarking slower than the PCI/I-P55TP4XE, but
I suspect that is because the book says it will run the 100Mhz chip with
70nS memory, which means they stuffed a wait state in it.  I need to get
the Sis data books so I can tweak the BIOS values and know exactly what
it is actually doing as there are about 12 memory timing parameters.

I have not seen source on 128MB simms, and 64MB simms are still hard
to find.

Oh, and that board supports up to 200MHz chips per the 1.2 Errata sheet
stuck in my manual, though ASUS is not stuffing the VRM socket in the
board which means you can only go to 150Mhz (All chips faster than 150Mhz
use a 2.9V VRM power source).