Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:36:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

In message <3ADCC317.AAE544DD@soekris.com> Soren Kristensen writes:
: As Warner said, there is only one kind of CF cards, but they can
: operate in 3 modes, all required per the spec: PC Card memory
: mode, PC Card I/O mode and True IDE mode. I'm running them in true
: IDE mode. The CompactFlash spec is at http://www.compactflash.org/

I've personally used 7 different brands of CF card in true IDE mode
w/o hassles using a home grown adapter.  SanDisk, Simple, Peripheral
Enhacement Corp, Viking, TDK and Hitachi.  I've yet to find any that
won't work in True IDE.

I did get one bad batch of Simple parts, however.  They just up and
died after a few days of use.  All of them in that batch wound up
going bad within two weeks.  The other 100 odd CF parts that we'd use
had no such problems.

FreeBSD uses PCCARD I/O mode when you plug them into a pccard slot.
Most of the parts support memory mapping as well, but memory mode only
seems to support mapping two pages in at a time.  I keep hearing
rumors that there's a away to directly map up to 64M of these cards,
but can find no datasheets that give enlightenment.

Warner