Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 06:48:48 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

At 02:36 AM 4/12/97 -0700, Vincent Poy wrote:
>	Hmmm, what's the difference between this and a channelized T1?

PRI is ISDN w/23 usable B channels at 64K/ea and CT1 has 24 channels of
56K/ea, which is generally less expensive, sometimes by a large factor.

>	Hmmm, what about the offerings from Cisco since I know some of the
>Regional providers used it.

More expensive per port.  Don't know much else, as I was raised on
Livingston, but I would guess you would want support for 56K analog.  Don't
think you can do that easily with Cisco.

>	Hmmm, do most ISPs have a spare machine and mirror it since
>wouldn't backups do the same thing?

Dunno, but considering that even with a DAT and fast system it can take a
few hours to bring a system back up and in the case of a hardware failure
it might take a while to isolate it.  Faster to restore customer data to a
working system and system data should be similar, so it is just a matter of
configuring the services.  Crash recovery is a pain and best to have a few
options.

I have enough parts for at least 2 machines.  My own box can do stand in
services.  The point is to be quick about switching critical services.

>	Hmmm but if it's a POP, why would there be outgoing calls? =)

One thing that you could offer to ISDN customers is dial-back, but this
depends on 2 things; one is if you pay for it and another is if they pay
for.  With Ameritech business ISDN customers pay per channel, per minute
and we don't, so this is a service plus.

>> IMHO, term servers are good for dial-in shell access.
>
>	What about for both dial-up shell and ppp access?

  Guess I should clarify that for just shell access a term server is good.
We have a Xylogics and some users never call PPP.  The comm server has to
connect to a host, which can be done with telnet or in some cases it is an
option on connect, but I don't like this method.

Guess this topic should have the subject of "A lot of advice offered."  ;=)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990