Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:37:09 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:54:27AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
>

> > The problem was that the makeworld.html page did not warn that moving from
> > 3.x to 4.0 needed to be done differently.
>
> 	The actual problem was that you stuck to that web page as your
> only source of information.

short of having reams of (good quality) printed documentation
to fall back upon this is not an alltogether unreasonable way
to proceed, espacially for one not versed in the arcanely
esoteric and getting more so at the release of each new version
of freebsd.

> Right at the very top of that page, in bold
> letters

NO IT DOES NOT .. get your facts straight before you blow
somebodies head of for asking a most reasonable question in a
polite and alltogether reasonable manner.

> it says that you need to subscribe to and read the -stable and/or
> -current mailing lists before trying to track -stable. If you had done
> that, you would have seen ample discussion about the particular problems
> related to that upgrade.

i joined the -steble mailing list at about the time freebsd
went  from v2.2.7 someting like that. i'd hoped to pick up some
idea of what was  involved and how to go about the process.
inmy time i asked several reasonable questions.

freebsd is no moving into v4.blah.blah and i'm still running
v2.2.7-release because of the missinformation and outright
bigotry that is so prevalent in the -stable mailing list.

maybe if we all took a bit of time to answer the questions
asked and to veryify the data that we provide, then maybe just
maybe freebsd-stable will be a better path. as  it is i can
only see that anyone who is not using freebsd -release is in
for a lot of serious trouble.

> 	I realize that you don't want to accept responsibility for your
> actions,

havinf read brennans's post this is not the tenor of his
argument .. but of cource you will have to say that regardless
of what brennan actually says because you have to have a reason
to sustain this irrational attack upon yet another peroson who
has dared  to ask a legitimate question, dared to point out yet
another one of teh more and more regularly appearing holes in
the (once) "rock solid" platform that now is becoming a shadow
of its reputation.

> but please stop posting hear trying to convince us that there is
> some way we could have unloaded the gun before you pointed it at your
> foot.

yup you got this bit right, peope such as brennan and myslef do
regularly point loaded guns at out feet, but do you and those
like you mr barton have to actually pull the trigger ?

people ask questions because they wnat clear unequivical
answers, not moralising lectures on how things should be that
are also full of technical anomilies.

maybe just maybe people are getting tired of all this ego
monical rhetoric and would like to settle down and just get to
work and to see things the way that they used to be, replete
witht he level of sanity and civility that seems to have left
the freebsd mailinglists of late.

struggling to keep up.

jonathan michaels