Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:14:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>
To:        portmaster-users@livingston.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   disconnect during first 60 secs?

We are a small ISP using Livingston PM-2E/30s and USR
MP-16 modem racks. We are having recurring disconnect
problems. They usually occur during the first 60
seconds that someone is connected. If users manage to
get through the first 60 or 90 seconds, the connection
is generally rock-solid.

We are using ComOS version 3.3.2c1 and radius authentication
on a FreeBSD 2.1.5+ system.

The reason that radius invariably gives is Lost-Carrier.

Where should we start to look? Is it a noisy phone line
problem, a modem init string problem, or something else.

Thanks in advance for any advice about what we should be
looking for.

-- Bruce