Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:52:10 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        stuart henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 12:06:45PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wed,  4 March 1998 at 11:26:05 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 10:20:52AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> 4.  It is possible to install groff on DOS.  I've never done it, and I
> >>     have no intention of introducing Microsoft to my workspace, but
> >>     people should at least be made aware of the possibility.
> >
> > I've never liked the idea of giving something and saying oh, by the way,
> > you'll have to install something to use this. That's my main objection to
> > depending on things like PDF and Word for windoze environments.
> >
> > If you want people to use particular software you have to supply it and
> > instructions, and hope that they have the required disk space and permission
> > to install it, the resources to run it, and the motivation to go to that length.
>
> Sure.  We do that.  It's called FreeBSD.

Counter-snort.

> >>     BTW, can't you display .html files with Microsoft-based browsers?
> >
> > A long thread in an unrelated mailing list recently concluded that to be
> > as platform independent as possible, HTML files should have names which are
> > 8.3 and all caps.
> >
> > I prepared to install FreeBSD when running OS/2 and hand-renamed all of the
> > handbook's HTML files and links so I could use them with the then-available
> > software.
>
> I suppose there's not too much objection to supplying a
> script^H^H^H^H^H^Hbatch file which renames them for you.

It's the internal links that are the killer, their upper/lower case
differences as well as the length of their file names.

I realise batch files do more and work more reliably than unix scripts, and
the dos users are cleverer at using them, but does FreeBSD have trouble
handling short file names and upper case? Should someone be working on that?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more