Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:33:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

Jason Thorpe said:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:48:10 -0500 (EST)
>  "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  > Again, it is an issue of an error (which Doug is trying to correct right
>  > away, as soon as being notified), vs. an attitude which you are
>  > showing clearly that you care little about giving credit other
>  > than on purely legal necessity.
>
> ...an error made worse by the fact that, regardless of what the head
> revision of the file has, revisions LACKING the notice are still available
> via the exported RCS information.
>
> Y'know, I wouldn't be so upset about this, except for the fact that this
> is not the first time that something like this has happened.

Ditto, and private communications are less damaging to both the messenger
and the receiver of the message.  My intentions about credit (personally)
are true, and sometimes find that peoples public stance and actual
behavior are inconsistent.

I believe that people should be polite regarding credit, and as a side
effect will strive to be complete and accurate legally.  I think that
following only the letter of the law can still be very impolite.

All this said, I would be very surprised if the code stagnates as it
is, and it is not likely that it will stay technologically the
way it is for long.