Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:45:05 +0100
From:      Chris Gilbert <chris@NetBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for ARM processor

On Wednesday 25 July 2001  8:26 am, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> > Strongarm-based pcs designed by Chalice Technologies
> > http://www.chaltech.com are available from  Simtek
> > http://www.simtec.co.uk/
>
> No pricing anywhere that I could find.

I believe that they cost about 700 ukp for a complete system (simtec do still
sell them)  the board alone is 350ukp (the reason for the cost is that they
don't mass produce them to the same scale as pc motherboard makers)  However
you can get them second hand for less.  AFAIR my 2nd hand box was about 400
ukp (cats board, case, psu, network, graphics, new 40GB hard disc), note that
the 2nd hand box has the rev S chip with the ldmib bug, but that's not been
shown to be an issue.  One issue with them is that the memory is fairly
specific on the timing front, and number of banks, eg it has to be PC66 in
one slot, and also 2 banks, but if you leave that slot empty you can use
PC100 and 4 bank in the other slot.

Your also limited on graphics capability, I believe that mach64 and S3 cards
work.  Others may also work.  The issue is that the BIOS has to emulate
enough of an x86 for the graphics card to startup.  Simtec have said they may
improve/expand the emulation to allow them to boot more recent cards.

--
Chris Gilbert                                              chris@netbsd.org
Portmaster, NetBSD/cats                   http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/cats/