Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 15:26:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How

> : A hardware failure will either transparently forward the failed
> : sector, or if bad sector forwarding is being handled in software,
> : the BAD144 layer will cause the soft bad block map to be updated
> : and, again, the failed write will be remapped.
>
> The drive was lying to FreeBSD somehow.  The sectors appeared to write
> correctly, but they were in fact unchanged or "random" for reasons
> unknown.  As far as FreeBSD was concerned, it was dealing with a disk
> that was perfect.  The disk drive, on the other hand, had other
> notions...  It is entirely possible that FreeBSD 2.0R doesn't handle
> this sort of thing correctly.  I've not delved enough to know for
> sure.  I just know that I had a disk go bad and the corruption in the
> file system was rather large...

Bad144 is off by default.

Make sure (using the scsi(8) command) that you are using SCSI bad sector
forwarding if you have not explicitly enabled Bad144.

Probably you want to be running at least 2.0.5 or 2.1 if you are using a
non-SCSI disk without hardware sector sparing, and no way to turn it
on (the scsi(8) command can only be used on SCSI devices 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.