Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:58:19 -0400
From:      Chris Buechler <cbuechler@gmail.com>
To:        Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Failure

On 8/12/05, Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net> wrote:
>=20
> Ive got an old Dell 4400 box with an old PERC2 RAID controller. Looks lik=
> we've had a drive failure and the docs and stuff are long gone on this
> machine. Before my time.
>=20

you can download all the documentation from support.dell.com

>=20
> Whats going to happen when I reboot this machine? From the docs Ive found
> online for this machine it has hot swap drives but Ive not tried it on
> this machine.
>=20

yeah you should be able to hot swap the drive with a replacement.  Not
sure how it'll work with FreeBSD as I haven't lost drives in any PERC2
FreeBSD boxes.

There were PERC2's with at least a couple different chipsets.  There
may be software RAID utilities available that you can use (like
asr-utils as an example).

> What would happen if I pull the drive out since its hotswappable? I dont
> think Ive got another drive handy at the moment either thats 18GB, only a
> few 9GB drives.
>=20

I've attempted to hot swap a hot-swappable SCSI drive on a non-Dell
server running FreeBSD and frozen the server up solid, so I'd
definitely be careful.  Not something I'd ever do during peak hours.

The absolute safest way with any OS, in my experience, would be to
shut it down, swap the drive, power up and get into the RAID
controller's BIOS and rebuild from there (don't have to wait for the
rebuild to complete successfully), then boot the server back up.=20
Probably only 10 minutes of downtime.

HTH,
-Chris