Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:50:03 -0500
From:      Jonathan Towne <wrongway@slic.com>
To:        Tristan <trisa@clara.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your builds

> I'd be very interested in hearing about
> any kewl builds of picoBSD anyone has
> done.  ...and what you are using them for.

My idea was to make use of a Celeron 300a running win98 (that I
had no permission to remove, so as to install freebsd), and still
have the functionality of freebsd, given that its the fastest
machine on this LAN, so i took and setup a custom "network" floppy
to be a diskless X11 workstation, basically by copying XF86Config
to /etc on the floppy, nfs mounting /usr, doing all the ldconfig
work so as to gain use of the libraries, and then "startx" or
"xdm" .. works well, even though its only a 10mbit LAN...

I successfully ran windowmaker (at 24bpp), at a more than adequate
speed, and at one point, i ran a Mozilla build, on a 486sx/25 with
only 12meg of RAM.. picobsd works great for this, one of my recent
ideas was to build a "vnode" image that included XFree86 and a few
things like windowmaker, netscape, maybe kde, and a bunch of X11
utilities, so as to have a picobsd/X workstation running X from a
local DOS/ext2/ufs/whatever partition, without having to murder
the current partition table.. never got around to it because I had
found a bug that was far beyond my capabilities (a long while ago)
in the vnode code.. oh well, maybe I'll take a stab at it again
sometime.. let me know if anyone has any interest whatsoever, if
not, then i won't put too much effort into making it look nice,
as it'll just be wasted on my own enjoyment :)

--
Jonathan Towne		jontow@massive.geek.edu/wrongway@slic.com
Systems Administrator			 http://massive.geek.edu/