Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:27:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        KentH@HNS.St-Louis.Mo.US, julian@ref.tfs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> I see no philosophical difference from one administrative override
> that modifies the default kernel and another that modifies the
> same file, but operates on different data.

Neither do I, but no proposal so far has covered a mechanism which
would make the maintainance of this data automatic.  In the case of
dset, it's one line which *we* added, and most users don't even _know_
or care about dset, they just know their UserConfig changes are
automagically saved somehow, which is how it should be.

Implement a mechanism as user-transparent as dset for /dev persistance
and I'll more than happily shut up about this.

						Jordan