Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 00:35:53 -0500
From:      Justin White <just6979@yahoo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013489293.ee4b9b@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Historical /usr/local

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 11:48 , Mike Meyer wrote:

> I claim that this puts ports in the /usr
> category, but that's a different flame war.
>
> 	<mike

the ports "collection" could be considered part of the base. but the
"ports collection" just consists of the makefiles, pkg* info, and the
patches. the ported apps themselves would considered third-party IMO
(for the most part, although if a local patch breaks something, that
would be a freebsd help thing.)

also, you could consider the stuff in /usr/src/contrib and /usr/src/gnu
to be "second-party". they're mostly developed outside of FreeBSD, but
are "published" (distributed) as part of the base system. (sorta like
how Rare Ltd. is a second party developer for Nintendo, to make an
analogy. Rare does most of the development, but it's sold as a Nintendo
game)

-Justin White  just6979@yahoo.com  http://justinfinity.2y.net/
AIM:just6979