Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:48:59 -0600
From:      jhupp@gensys.com (Jeff)
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as T1 router

dennis writes:
: At 11:34 AM 1/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
: >
: >   "Everyone" uses Cisco and "the net" sucks, so what does that tell you?
: >d) That Dennis is still slinging mud instead of facts.
:
: For 1, these are "Facts"....every time there is a problem at my upstream
: provider it is some issue with their Cisco router. That, is a FACT.

	Wonderful, perhaps they just don't know how to configure it.  My
upstream runs ciscos, and I have had about 90 minutes of total down time from
them in the last 14 months.

	The cisco at my end just sits there and works.  Note the period.

:
: Fact 2 is that its not even being used as a high-end box (an HSSI
: running only 4Mbs, a couple of T1s and a couple of ethernets)...a
: configuration achievable with a FreeBSD box for about 1/10th the
: price.

	No, what is your time worth?  And how much of it have you put into
that box?

:
: My "point" was that there is no such thing as a magic box....there are
: problems/advantages/disadvantages to all products. Those that think
: if they buy Cisco or Ascend that they wont have any problems are
: misinformed.
:

	Very true.  They will just be different problems.  The problems with
the ciscos are common problems, problems the 'community' as a whole are
dealing with, problems that others I am in contact with have worked through
or are working through.

	There is also the tendency to point fingers, let me tell you I would
much rather say, "You want to look at my cisco's config?" then "You want to
look at the config on the FreeBSD box I made into a router?" when dealing
with inter-operability problems...

--
Jeff Hupp <jhupp@gensys.com>|  Coffee is Life.
PGP public key available at http://www.gensys.com/jeffskey.asc