Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:28:04 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Roasting Newbies

At 2:40 PM -0400 1999/10/7, Michael Lucas wrote:

> http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~dispatch/bsd-self-help.html

	Speaking as someone who has had my share of problems on this
topic (and on this mailing list), I think this is a very good page.
I would add that a "FreeBSD newbie" is someone who probably has less
than a year's experience administering FreeBSD (or one of the closely
related *BSD variants), even if they might have years of experience
with other Unices.

	Therefore [0], even if you've been on the 'net for over fifteen
years, you've been doing Unix systems administration for over ten
years, you've have several years experience doing Unix systems
administration at some of the largest and most complex sites in the
world, if you haven't been administering FreeBSD and monitoring the
various FreeBSD mailing lists for a year or more, you're probably a
FreeBSD newbie.  As such, most any questions you might have are
almost certainly likely to be more appropriate to -questions than any
other mailing list.

	Even if -questions turns out to be the wrong mailing list, it's
better to ask your question there and be directed somewhere else
(e.g., -hackers), than it is to ask your question somewhere else and
be directed to -questions.

	IMO [1], it would also help to close the other mailing lists to
posts from non-subscribers, and have -questions be the only mailing
list to which non-subscribers can post.  If anyone attempted to post
to any mailing list other than -questions, they could get an error
message returned to them that referenced the above URL.

[0]  Taking myself as an example, since I don't have the right or
authority to use anyone else in this role.

[1]  Of course, I'm sure this particular point has been debated to
death on some other mailing list I've haven't even heard of yet.  I'm
sorry for bringing this up again, but I think it is relevant to the
question of newbies.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.