Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:52:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, KentH@HNS.St-Louis.Mo.US, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

I put it to you that security of devices is such an important thing
that you don't want persistance of device ownerships
I think that device ownerships should be set upaccording
to a STATED POLICY on the matter.
A hacker who manages to change the ownership od a device
should not find his change still in place after a reboot.

All automatic methods I can think of do not differntiate between
a malicious or legitimate cahnging of permissions information.

A POLICY method can take into account new devices
where persistance methods can not handle a device that does not
yet exist.
I think that having entries for devices not yet present is one
of the things I'm trying to get away from...

batteries nearly dead.. going offline soon.

julian