Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:02:38 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

>On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:48:10 -0500 (EST)
> "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Again, it is an issue of an error (which Doug is trying to correct right
> > away, as soon as being notified), vs. an attitude which you are
> > showing clearly that you care little about giving credit other
> > than on purely legal necessity.
>
>...an error made worse by the fact that, regardless of what the head
>revision of the file has, revisions LACKING the notice are still available
>via the exported RCS information.
>
>Y'know, I wouldn't be so upset about this, except for the fact that this
>is not the first time that something like this has happened.

   If this is indeed "not the first time that something like this has
happened", and there is another instance where this needs to be corrected,
then by all means point it out so that it can be corrected. I'm not aware
of any such cases ever occuring before myself, however.
   Regarding this specific instance, we've been working with Doug for years
now and I know him to be an honest person. Given the evolution of the files
involved - being built up from various pieces and not starting whole, I'm
not too surprised that some copyrights were missed. I assume that Doug will
take care of this immediately. If he doesn't then we'll take appropriate
action.

-DG

David Greenman