Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:05:12 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux "best of breed?"

At 04:44 PM 11/5/98 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>Well, I'm sorry, but I don't continue to nag, it doesn't look as
>if anything is going to happen. Fact is, FreeBSD is losing fast
>to Linux in mindshare, and if this trend isn't turned around soon
>there will be no way to do anything about it later. You'll see
>lots of great UNIX programming tools, applications, etc. coded
>in a way that's so Linux-specific that you won't be able to get
>by without a Linux box. Do you really want to have to shake your
>head and tell people, "I'd like to recommend FreeBSD for this
>task, but under the circumstances you'd really best go with Linux?"
>
>Sorry to disturb you, but this is your wake-up call.
>
>--Brett Glass
>
>At 02:13 PM 11/5/98 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, I forgot: FreeBSD doesn't DO PR.
>>
>>Would you get off it?
>>
>>Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
>>Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/

Wakeup calls would be kinda neat if they were at the bottom of the thread,
thanks.

Lets just say, it's not the cute penguin, that's for sure.

You're right, it could happen, all of the tools come out for Linux...  A
user is a user though, even if it's some 12 year old thinking he's K-R4D
and 31337 for using Linux and smurfing the crap out of people.
Unfortunately such tools don't usually compile on FreeBSD.

I think that this whole certification idea is going to take off though.
Hopefully this will put FreeBSD on the board somewhere.. Either way, I'm
not planning on changing, and nor are many of the people that are on here
now.  And we have DEMANDS of what we want to do with it..

So your wake-up call isn't valid.  Too many people post to this list let
alone the other lists.  Too many places are using FreeBSD technology
integrated into their solutions, and who knows how many people didn't
register when they installed it.

If suddenly -hackers is getting 2 posts a day.. And most of the regular
posters in -advocacy somehow become dead.. THEN there is a problem.  First
place I'm looking, is for that damned penguin.. ;-)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998