Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rick Gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
Subject:   Re: /etc/daily

> > I've been getting this error message of not having the cleaning of / in
> > /etc/daily enabled. How do you enable it? I've looked at /etc/daily and
> > still confused.
>
> You can enable it by uncommenting (removing the pound signs from) the 4
> lines of code following the warning message.  Thus it would look like this:
>
>   # This is a security hole, never use 'find' on a public directory
>   # with -exec rm -f as root.  This can be exploited to delete any file
>   # on the system.

There was some discussion of this on the Bugtraq mailing list. A perl
script that could be safely used in place of rm was posted. Bugtraq
archives are available at several places, including:
  http://www.eecs.nwu.edu/~jmyers/bugtraq/archives.html
The thread is "[linux-security] Things NOT to put in root's crontab"

To cut right to the chase, the post with the script is at:
  http://www.eecs.nwu.edu/~jmyers/bugtraq/0666.html

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |